Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nate's Table

A very long time ago, a sweet lady from our church gave us a child's table with 2 chairs. She had it in her house for her grandchildren. I appreciated her generosity and was touched that she thought of our family. That being said, the design of the table didn't really match the decor of our house so I decided to strip the table & chairs and repaint them. I didn't have any idea what I wanted the table to look like when I was done so it took me a while to come up with a plan. I only hoped to have it finished before my son reached high school(!!) Also, I only had about 3 hours a week to work on it...and that had to be during decent weather since the table was in our {unattached} garage. So here is the before picture that I took -- I kid you not -- back in April 2010:

Noah's Ark themed table & chairs. Plaid blue/green & yellow.

And -- ta da -- here it is after I finished -- again, I kid you not -- in January 2011 (that would be 9 months. Sick, I know):



The colored detail is heavy-duty fabric, glued on with Modge Podge (my fist MP project!). I had thought about sewing seat cushions out of the fabric but chickened out. I'm really happy with the results! Of course, Nate hasn't even given it a second glance but that's okay. (actually, he cried when he saw it because he was mad that he didn't get to help me glue on the "1" and the "2". Sigh.) I hope he'll eventually use it for working on art projects, reading books, etc.

I'm linking this post up to:
The DIY Show Off
Furniture Feature Fridays

10 comments:

Jackie said...

That is a totally cute! I think it looks great.

I would love to have you link this post to my new link party.

http://blessingsoverflowing.blogspot.com/2011/01/fix-it-up-friday-peel-stick-vinyl.html

Jen said...

Nikki- it turned out so great! What a great idea to add some fabric, and I love the "1" and "2" on the chair backs. Nice job :)

Jeremy and Merrilee said...

that is awesome...you inspire me :)

Dannyelle said...

What a great make-over, it really looks great. Good work!
Dannyelle from www.lifeisaparty.ca

Unknown said...

so totally cute!! i love it ! you should totally submit this to that "better after" blog if you haven't already!

Just stopping by from the link up! Have a great day

ps I'm your newest follower!

Jeff and Mindy said...

Wow! That looks great! The most I've thought of doing to Sam & Wes's table is painting chalkboard paint on the top...and even that seems too daunting to me. You are so creative!!!

abeachcottage said...

Wow, totally cute! Love the new table and chairs. They are so much better. Thanks for sharing.

Kristyn @ Good Gravy Crafts said...

So cute! You inspired me to add our table to the list of things to do in 2011~Thanks for sharing!

xx-Kristyn

Unknown said...

Hi Nikki! That turned out super cute! I love the new look. Can't ever go wrong with polka dots, that's what I say.

Unknown said...

Fabulous! This is such a great blog post! Appreciating the hard work you put into your site. It’s awesome blog.
http://all4payday.com