Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Tip

Happy Earth Day!  I thought I'd share a recycling tip with you.  It's not a mind-blowing "a-ha" kind of tip but it may spark some creativity and recycling in your own house.
 
For some reason, old houses tend to have very tall kitchen cabinets....I've owned a step-stool for years because every apartment I've lived in in my adult life (all built before 1940) had kitchen cabinets that were ridiculously high.  I wish someone could explain to me why this is since people back then were probably shorter than we are now.  Anyway, in my previously homes, I used the very top shelf to hold cookie cutters, my Thanksgiving platter, a soup tureen, etc. -- all stuff that wasn't used a lot.  When we moved into this house last year, I decided to try something else.  Now I store my special occasion table linens on the top shelf.  And how do I store them way up there? 

Can you tell what those are?  They're zippered plastic bags that you get when you buy sheets, blankets, towels, etc.  I could never part with them (another tip is using them to hold your shoes in luggage so they won't get your clothes dirty when you travel) and I'm glad I found a good use for them.

Wow, I really need to straight up our mug/cup shelf.  Embarrassing. 

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is a great idea- the bags keep moisture out and by keeping the linens in a cupboard away from sunlight exposure it will keep them from fading and yellowing too :) You're smart!

Now I feel guilty, I either throw those plastic bags away, or steal the zipper for another project...

lindybasenji said...

I have the hardest time getting rid of those bags also. Brilliant!