Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Crackles for Kris Kringle



Jessica Turner is hosting a virtual cookie recipe exchange tomorrow (Thurs. Dec. 10th), so check out her blog here so you can drool over lots of tasty Christmas treats.  Here's my submission:

Call me strange, but I'd rather eat a spice cookie than a chocolate chip one (I told you I was odd).  This recipe has loads of lovely spice flavor and, as an added bonus, will make your  house smell wonderful when they're baking in the oven.  This recipe is in my Top 5 Christmas Cookie collection.  Enjoy!



Four Spice Crackles 
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2/3 cup coarse granulated sugar

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar, butter, and shortening.  Stir in the molasses and egg.  Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until everything is incorporated.  Cover and chill dough for at least 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.

Roll the chilled dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll each ball in the coarse sugar.  If you do not have coarse sugar, you can use regular sugar (I use colored coarse sugar on 1/2 of my dough).  Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets, and flatten slightly.

Bake for 9-12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are cracked on top but still soft in the center (9 mins. will give you a softer cookie -- I push for the full 12 because I like mine crisp).  Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.  Store cooled cokies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  Makes 4 dozen.


Nate says:  "Forget the cookies...I want to play with the wire rack!"

3 comments:

lindybasenji said...

I'm not a "momcreative" but check out the post on my annual cookie exchange cookies this year: http://lindybasenji.typepad.com/two_happy_bellies/2009/12/its-not-christmas-season-until-there-are-cherry-dots-in-the-house.html

Allison said...

Ooh....I can almost smell those baking in the oven! Yum!! I can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing!

Kelli W said...

I love cookies that are rolled in sugar! They always turn out so pretty!