Friday, February 19, 2010

Joe 3, Julia 0

We just finished eating dinner and I decided I should share this recipe right away because 1) it's pretty darn good and 2) it's perfect for the rainy weekend we've got ahead of us here in Southern California.

(PS -- if you're keeping track, I'm really, really behind on my Trader Joe's-inspired cooking.  Note to self: future post needs to be done on how I procrastinate a lot and have a commitment problem.  Maybe.  I don't know that I'll get around to it....)

Creamy Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pesto Gnocchi

1 (32-oz.) container Trader Joe's Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
4 oz. mascarpone
1/3 (6.17-oz) package of potato gnocchi
roughly 4 Tblsp. Trader Giotto's Pesto alla Genovese
salt and pepper

I'm going to use that word again -- easy.  This recipe really is a piece of cake.  And because you'll have some left over ingredients, you can make the soup again at the end of the week (so buy 2 containers of the tomato soup).

Heat the soup, then stir in the mascarpone.  While the soup heats, bring a small pot of water to a boil.  Add the gnocchi and boil just until they bob to the surface, 3-4 minutes.  Scoop them out and set aside.  Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and add a few gnocchi to each serving.  Drizzle a little pesto into each serving (I love pesto so I drizzled more than a little).

I don't have a picture because I was too hungry to grab my camera.  We ate the soup with grilled cheese sandwiches and a salad.  Yum.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I have all of these ingredients in my house right now- except the mascarpone (I don't even know what that is)! I never would have thought of adding gnocchi to the soup, that's a great idea. We're definitely going to have to try this one :)

lindybasenji said...

Just might have to try this one as well. The cherry glazed pork tenderloins have a warm place in my heart/stomach now. Keep these coming!

lindybasenji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.