Monday, July 13, 2009

Ruthie

This is my Auntie Ruth. She was married to my grandfather's cousin so she's not really my aunt but everybody calls her that because my grandpa and his cousin were as close as brothers. She lives next door to us. Today is her 93rd birthday so Nate and I took her some cookies and visited for a while. Isn't she adorable? She's had quite a busy day what with surprise visitors, lunch with her daughter, and all of the phone calls she keeps getting (3 times alone while we were there) wishing her happy birthday. Her living room was filled with birthday cards and flowers. I told her "you're the most popular person in town" and she replied "only the most popular on the corner of Oak and Parish." I know she's often lonely and bored most days so she's probably wishing all of these friends and relatives would visit her on an non-birthday day. So if you know somebody who's living alone and is elderly, why not give them a jingle tomorrow to wish them a Happy Tuesday. They'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! Sounds like Auntie Ruth had a nice birthday! She's "something else" for 93-years-old! Thanks for adding to her day. Love you! Nate's Gramma

lindybasenji said...

What a great idea! I used to be better about this, got out of the habit in the last year or so. Need to get back into it. Thanks!